It’s no doubt that printers have gotten better over time. However, color printing is still undeniably expensive, and sometimes it’s best to just stick to the basics.
Many modern-day monochrome printers use laser technology to print. This uses ink instead of toner, which tends to last longer and save you money in the long run.
If you’re in the market to get the best value in printers today without wasting precious money on color ink, check out our guide of the best monochrome laser printer you can find today. We will cover everything from business needs to a personal office so you can find the best monochrome laser printer for you.
What to Look For
There are few things in the world as unexciting as shopping for a black and white printer. That aside, there are still many things to paying attention to when you’re in the marker for the best monochrome laser printer for your needs.
Before you head out on your monochrome laser printer hunt, make sure to ask yourself a few questions to help narrow down your search.
What Are You Using Your Printer For?
Are you a student or a business owner? Maybe you work at home, or you manage a team of employees. The needs you’re expecting out of a printer will greatly impact which kinds of models you should look at.
How Much Do You Need to Print Per Month?
Some printers give you only give you a thousand pages or so per month. Some have the ability to print 10,000, 50,000 or even 100,000. Before you buy a printer, track how much you are using your current printer so you can find a range that works for you.
How Fast Do You Need Your Documents?
If you’re working at a busy office, you probably want your documents to come out as fast as possible. If you’re using your printer for home use, you maybe don’t need everything to come out at lightning speed and can pay more attention to other features. If this is important to you, make sure you’re paying attention to the pages per minute estimate.
How Do You Want to Print Your Documents?
Many printers have features where you can connect your printer to Wi-Fi, cloud sharing devices, Ethernet, or a USB device. This is most helpful for shared printers so people can connect all over the office. If this is something to need, make sure you check connectivity options before purchasing.
Where Will You Put Your Printer?
Before you purchase a printer, consider where you’re going to keep it. Are you going to move it around continuously or do you want it to stay in one spot? For a printer that you want to put at your desk, make sure you’re looking into more compact models. If you want a larger, higher output printer, make sure you have floor or shelf space available.
Buying a printer doesn’t have to be such a drag. Before you make a purchase, look into our list for the best monochrome laser printer for your needs. From personal to business, we’ve got you covered on speed, quality, and space of your future printer.
Brother Monochrome Laser Multifunction Printer
4 out of 5 stars
This printer is a laser printing champion. It both prints and copies at high speeds, quickly scans to PDF and is fast to feed documents through the printer.
If you’re looking to increase personal or small office productivity, this is a great printer which offers a lower cost per page than most models in its price range, with a lot of speed.
This model features two cartridges of toner that will get you up to 7,500 pages before having to restock. The printer can print up to 15,000 pages per month.
More than just a printer, this Brother monochrome printer is able to fax, copy, and make double-sided copies at higher average speeds than other printers in this price range.
This printer is great for the home office of someone who wants to do it all with one device. The printer is small enough to fit on a desk and easy to install.
Canon imageClass MF424dw Monochrome Laser Printer
- Print up to 40 ppm
- Print up to 8 1/2 x 14 inches
- 900 Sheet maximum paper capacity
- Three year warranty standard
- Save 10% on all ink reorders with Dash Replenishment. Upon activation your printer measures ink levels and places smart reorders when you are running low. No subscription fees. Cancel anytime.
3.9 out of 5 stars
This printer has a ton of extra features for increased productivity and ease of use making it easily one of our top picks.
The image quality on the printer is excellent. It’s able to print top-notch quality graphics and text for professional looking documents. It also runs at a speed of 40 pages per minute for the most productivity.
The Canon imageClass model also features a large customizable touch screen. This not only features, Cancel, Home, and Sleep buttons but also you can add apps from the Canon Library to customize the printer to your preference.
These customizable settings allow you to scan to a network or email, print from a cloud, Dropbox, or USB connected device.
Ricoh SP 407815 Monochrome Laser Printer
- out of 5 stars
This Ricoh printer is heavy-duty and high-performing. This model is great for larger offices who need more performance out of their printer.
This printer is great quality overall. The performance speaks for itself. With a 250,000-page duty cycle, strong security, and a high toner cartridge yield, this printer is great for offices with high levels of productivity.
Though this printer comes in at around a bit more expensive, the running costs are very low which could make up for the high price tag over time if your office prints at a high volume.
For such a highly productive printer, you won’t need to make a ton of floor space for it. This Ricoh model is a lot smaller and lighter weight than other printers in its class. The printer measures 13.6 by 16.5 by 16.1 inches, making it possible to fit on a desktop.
Brother HL-L2300D Monochrome Laser Printer
- Prints Up To 27 ppm, Automatic Duplex Printing
- 250 Sheet Capacity Paper Tray. A4 2 sided print speed 13. A4 standard print speed 26. Automatic 2 sided print. Recommended monthly volume 250 to 2,000 pages
- Windows 10 Compatibility: If you upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, some features of the installed drivers and software may not work correctly. Please uninstall all drivers and software in Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 before upgrading to Windows 10
- 1 Year Limited Warranty With Free Phone Support For The Life Of Your Machine
- This machine uses a USB connection ensuring your office runs smoothly with no complications. High Speed USB 2.0 Interface. Does not come with USB cable.Maximum Monthly Duty Cycle:10,000 pages.Output Paper Capacity (sheets):100
4.1 out of 5 stars
This printer is an excellent choice for those on a budget. Coming in at just around affordable price, you can’t beat the quality of this Brother printer for the price tag.
The Brother HL model offers great paper handling and a duplexer for two-sided printing. The duplexer accompanies a 250-sheet tray and a manual feed; all items that should be high on your list of priorities for a budget monochrome printer.
The downside of this printer is the lack of ability to connect via Ethernet or Wi-Fi. However, you’re still able to connect to the printer using a USB cable.
At an output of 27 pages per minute and it’s easiness to set up, this is a great printer for those who don’t need a lot of the bells and whistles more expensive models can buy.
Samsung Xpress SL-M2835DW/XAA Wireless Laser Printer
- Never run out of toner with this Amazon Dash Replenishment enabled printer
- Near Field Communication (NFC) for easy wireless printing
- Print fast at speeds up to 29 pages per minute
- Cut costs and environmental impact with Easy Eco Driver functionality
3.4 out of 5 stars
For top-notch paper handling, the ability to connect through Ethernet and Wi-fi, and something small enough to fit on your desk, this Samsung Xpress printer is a win.
The Samsung Xpress offers plenty of paper handling whether you’re using the printer for personal or shared use. The sheet tray fitting up to 250 pieces of paper should be plenty for small businesses and personal use.
This printer takes care of small business or personal needs by printing up to 30 pages per minute with nice quality of graphics and text. This printer made our list not because it delivers exceptionally in one area, such as speed or quality of print, but because it gives you impressive results across the board.
HP LaserJet Pro M402dw Wireless Monochrome Printer
- FEATURES DESIGNED FOR YOUR BUSINESS: Monochrome laser printer, 2-line display with keypad, wireless printing, duplex printing
- FAST PRINT SPEED: print up to 40 pages per minute. First page out in as fast as 6.4 seconds.
- SOLID SECURITY: Keep printing safe from boot up to shutdown with security features that guard against complex threats.
- HP JETINTELLIGENCE VALUE: Choose Original HP Toner cartridges with JetIntelligence - engineered to help your HP LaserJet printer print faster and more prints.
- IDEAL FOR SMALL BUSINESSES: 350-sheet paper input capacity, up to 4,000-page monthly volume, and up to 10 users for your workgroup.Processor speed:1200 MHz
4.1 out of 5 stars
For someone looking for a printer that’s going to allow for maximum security around the office and within your network, this HP LaserJet is a good investment. The printer provides tough security for your documents and data. Coming in at around $350, this printer is ideal for small offices and within office groups.
The printer delivers a high degree of paper handling, speed, and quality of documents. The printer itself is small enough in size so you can place it on your desk, eliminating the need for extra floor space in a small work environment.
This HP model also includes the ability to connect to smartphones and Wi-Fi. It’s also incredibly efficient, spitting out 40 pages per minute.
Samsung xpress m2020w monochrome Laser Printer
- GREAT VALUE FOR YOUR HOME OFFICE - This Samsung single-function monochrome laser printer features superior print quality, NFC + WiFi connectivity, and fast print speed.
- GET PRINT ON TAP - NFC enables your mobile device to connect and communicate with your printer. Simply tap your NFC-enabled phone to this black and white laser printer and start printing (Android device only).
- EASY MOBILE PRINTING - Download the free Samsung Mobile Print app or use Google Cloud Print and print directly with your mobile device from this wireless laser printer.
- FAST SPEED PRINTING - Print up to 21 pages per minute. Recommended monthly volume of 100-1,500 pages.
- PROFESSIONAL IMAGE QUALITY - Get sharp, crisp images and text produced by Samsung's innovative imaging technology.
- out of 5 stars
To enjoy the ease of printing off of your smartphone, Wi-fi, or USB connected device, check out this monochromatic printer by Samsung. This printer won’t break the bank at just around $120 and will be a great addition to your office.
This Samsung printer is high-speed to keep you on task and on time. The small size also means you can put this printer on your desk without it hogging much of your space.
The printer also is designed with ReCP technology which makes your printed text come out looking sharper, clearer, and more professional.
Lexmark 35SC700 Compact All-In-One Laser Printer
- Print/scan/fax/copy abilities that scale to meet the most demanding business tasks. No need for additional devices for your general business needs.
- Both fast and quick printing. Print up to 35 pages per minute, with the first page as fast as 6.5 seconds, thanks to a powerful 800 MHz dual-core processor and 128 MB of memory that easily handle complex documents
- Easily Print up to 2,500 pages per month, Plus enjoy fewer maintenance hassles, thanks to our state-of-the-art paper handling. An optional second tray raises input capacity to 850 sheets, so you won't have to add paper as often
- Outstanding supplies value. Lexmark's exclusive Unison Toner keeps your cost of printing low, with toner yields that provide great value at prices that are budget friendly.
- Robust printing backed by a 1-Year Exchange Service warranty with Next Business Day replacement.
3.7 out of 5 stars
For an all-in-one product designed to fulfill the needs and quality requirements of most small businesses, check out this Lexmark model.
This printer is quick with the ability to print 33 pages a minute and the first-page printing after just six seconds. This means you don’t have to stand by your printing waiting to see if it’s really going to work or not.
Printing isn’t the only thing this device does quickly. This printer also can scan, fax and copy. The automatic document feeder on this model scans up to 45 sides of documents in just a minute. Scanning large files, training manuals, and books is quick and simple.
This printer can also go wireless. The Lexmark printer can be connected through Ethernet, Wi-Fi, and USB.
For small business owners or people working in small groups, this printer is quick, able to handle heavy day-to-day use and gets get prints.
Dell E310dw Monochrome Laser Printer
- Print up to 27 pages per minute (ppm), and save time with automatic two-sided printing.
- The optional high-yield toner cartridge prints up to 2, 600 pages, and the single fuser unit is Designed to last the life of the printer.
- Dell printer hub integrates printer essentials and cloud connectivity for easy document management and control of your printer.
4 out of 5 stars
If you’re in the market for a personal printer or don’t need to print at such high volumes, this inexpensive Dell printer is definitely one to check out.
This printer is small enough to fit in a college dorm or on top of a desk. Weighing a mere 12.8 pounds, it’s easy to move around and takes up little space on a desktop.
Since all this printer does is print, it’s great for someone who just wants the basics. There are no extra buttons to be confused by, and the control panel is very easy to use. This printer can also be connected to Google Cloud Print, Apple AirPrint, or connected through Wi-Fi.
With text only documents, this printer can print up to 27 pages in a minute, making it very efficient for college essays or long documents.
If you’re not someone who needs a printer all the time for thousands of pages a week, this is a great personal printer that won’t break the bank.
OKI Data B512dn Monochrome Laser Printer
- out of 5 stars
To juxtapose, our last recommended printer, this OKI Data printer is the best monochrome laser printer for highly functioning businesses. With incredible efficiency and stamina that can satisfy all your printing needs, if you need something reliable, this is the printer for you.
The OKI Data printer has tremendous speed, spitting out 47 pages per minute and a very respectable cost per page. If you needed more than that, this model features an additional 530-sheet drawer for a total capacity of 1,160 pages.
If your business requires printing long contracts, this is a great printer to invest in. This printer can print as many as 100.000 pages in a single month. This is an extremely high volume for around more than average price point.
This printer doesn’t perform as well with mobile connection options, but if that’s not something on your priority list, definitely make sure to check out this top performing printer.