The best standing desk will have a very sturdy base that can hold a reasonable amount of weight while still being able to raise and lower quickly. Some desks can be placed on top of your current desk, while others are freestanding and come with their own base. Some desks are motorized while others are moved by hand.
The best standing desk may be difficult to find immediately among the hundreds of choices available, but our list of quality standing desks can help you narrow down your search. Standing desks have gained popularity recently as a healthy alternative to sitting desks, and many are reaping the benefits of using this arrangement.
The best desk will be sturdy and made from quality materials that are able to last long term. Since the durability of a standing desk is essential, we also take a look at building materials, and the feedback provided by actual users.
How We Chose Our Ratings
Finding an excellent standing desk is an important task, and we collected data from a variety of websites to get the best feedback from actual users. We then cross-referenced that feedback across the sites to get better data about real use cases.
Accuracy and honesty are important to us, and our ratings factor in brand reputation, customer service, and specifications directly from the company website. Our list of standing desks reflects the best based on user feedback and product specifications.
Top 8 Best Standing Desks
Standing desks can:
Help burn a modest number of calories that wouldn't otherwise be expended while sitting
Assist users in maintaining a better posture and strengthen their bodies
Many individuals prefer standing desks as they can move around more freely while enjoying perceived health benefits.
1. VARIDESK 49900
- 2 Spacious Tiers: Offers a large workspace with an upper tier (36” x 12.25”) for up to 2 monitors, a laptop, and a notebook and a lower tier for a standard keyboard, mouse, and a calculator or papers!
- Ergonomic Movement: Our special rowing-lift raising mechanism with its up-and-back movement allows you to use the power from your lower half – leaving your back in a neutral state/healthy posture/straight and strong.
- Quality: Built with a heavy, weighted base and high-quality materials so it remains sturdy and stable at any of its 11 height settings. The patented, spring-loaded lift was designed and tested for your safety and ease.
- Simple: This desk ships fully assembled and ready to use right out of the box. You’ll be up and working more productively in no time.
- Trustworthy: When you buy through Vari, you get our 30-day risk-free guarantee – which means you can be sure you’ll love your desk. And don’t forget our fantastic 5-year limited warranty!
5.0 of 5 stars
The VARIDESK is potentially the best standing desk that allows you to use an existing flat surface while still getting the optimal amount of adjustment. The VARIDESK features enough space for two monitors but also has a separate keyboard tray that allows the keyboard to come to you.
With the extending keyboard tray, users can better maintain a truly upright posture while still having ample room for using their mouse. The monitors can rest on the upper tier of the standing desk, which allows for larger monitors to be used.
This unit is also more ergonomic, as it is raised using a simple rowing lift which minimizes the impact on the users back without sacrificing stability. Another benefit is that this standing desk comes fully assembled and ready to use out of the box so you can begin to use it immediately and there are no tools required.
This unit retails for $, and the weighted base and durable materials mean that this desk can be easily lifted while still holding up to 35 pounds. The total weight of this desk is about 52 pounds and can fit two 27-inch monitors.
2. Jarvis Bamboo Standing Desk
5.0 of 5 stars
The Jarvis Bamboo standing desk is an attractive standing desk with black legs and a light-colored bamboo top. The desk comes in both a rectangle shape, and a with a contoured front, and buyers can choose from several accessories and add-ons.
The Jarvis standing desk can lift 350 pounds, and features a frame that has been named by The Wirecutter as the best standing desk for four consecutive years. The tops for this desk come in both laminate and powder coated MDF which allows users to switch out tops while still keeping the sturdy frame.
The bamboo used is sustainably harvested, and no pesticides or fertilizers are used. The color is the natural bamboo without any chemical stains or dyes used in its manufacturing. This desk also comes in seven sizes and is delivered with free shipping and a 30-day return policy.
3. Cooper Standing Desk Converter
- TURN ANY DESK INTO A STANDING DESK: Simply place the fully assembled desk converter on top of your existing desk or table to create an adjustable height standing desk that brings flexibility and movement into your workday
- EASILY SWITCH FROM SIT TO STAND: The hydraulic lift is operated with one hand, raising the main work surface up 22” in height, so you can alternate between sitting and standing throughout the day
- STABLE & STURDY: The double-X steel (not aluminum) frame distributes up to 35 lbs. of weight evenly by adjusting straight up and down to maintain stability
- USABLE WORK SURFACE: Desktop footprint is 36.6” x 23,” with the top measuring 35.4” x 20.7” and keyboard tray 28.9” x 11.8”
- QUALITY MATERIALS: The sustainably bamboo desktop and strong power coated steel frame have an industry leading warranty. More details and options below
5.0 of 5 stars
The Cooper standing desk converter is an excellent option for those that already have a desk that they love, but they want to convert to working at it in a standing position. The Cooper standing desk comes in bamboo and black, and the stand allows the whole mechanism to lift upwards in order to save space.
The hydraulic lift on this standing desk makes it easy to raise, and it smoothly lifts a whole 16 inches upwards and can handle weights up to 35 pounds. There's no electronic component to this desk so you can place it anywhere and adjust it easily with just a touch.
This standing desk is from the company Fully and comes with free shipping and a 30-day return policy. There is also a two-year warranty on all parts, and a built-in tension adjustment can be utilized with the use of an included hex key.
4. ProDesk 60 Electric
5.0 of 5 stars
The ProDesk 60 Electric is a unit that anyone can assemble in as little as five minutes, and the substantial metal frame and thick counter combine to provide a high-quality commercial grade standing desk. The motor on this desk allows it to move up and down with quiet precision, and the base is designed for optimal stability.
This desk can move from 25.5 inches from the ground all the way up to 50.5 inches to accommodate users of all sizes from sitting to standing and everything in between. The design of this desk has also eliminated any “pinch points” that may be a danger to users and changes to the design come directly from user feedback.
This desk is a great option for those looking for a super sturdy desk that will last a long time. VARIDESK desks come with a UL BIFMA Performance Certification, which makes it the first company in the world to receive that certification.
5. FlexiSpot M3B Standing Desk
- ※More Spacious Desktop Space※: its generous 47" width allows to support two screens up to 27"
- ※Smooth & Easy Adjustments※: Our single-handle design makes it super easy to safely adjust the height of the desk. You never need to use two hands or extra force like with some other brands.
- ※Straight Up & Down Movement※: Our space-saving workstation rises and folds vertically, within its own footprint. There's no need to make the spatial accommodations that may be required with comparable products.
- ※Quick-Release Keyboard Tray※: Our full-sized keyboard tray features a deeper work surface to fit a larger keyboard, mouse, and mousepad as well as a unique quick-release design so you can quickly and easily remove it when you're performing tasks that don't require a keyboard and mouse.
- ※Trustworthy※: Enjoy your new Sit-Stand Desk Converter, or get your money back with our 30-day risk-free guarantee! Plus, it’s backed by our 5-year warranty and friendly support via chat, email or phone.
4.5 of 5 stars
The FlexiSpot standing desk is another standing desk converter that allows users to keep their own desk or other flat workspace and transform part of it into a standing desk. The base of this desk is weighted for extra stability, and the single handle allows it to be adjusted up or down to fit your needs easily.
The keyboard tray is spacious enough for a full-sized keyboard and mouse and can be removed when not needed. This desk is outfitted with twelve different height levels to suit users between 5 feet and 6 foot, and the generous desktop can accommodate up to two 27-inch monitors.
6. Seville Classics Airlift S3
- Powerful Three-Section Legs - Rise higher and go lower with the AIRLIFT S3! The extra section allows the desk to descend as low as 24.8 inches and rise to a height of 50.4 inches high at a quick and quiet 1.5 inches per second.
- LED Display Height Controller - Features 4 memory buttons and blue LED height display for easy, consistent adjustment throughout the day.
- Steel Base Frame - Heavy-duty construction and powerful dual motors provide stability without sacrificing strength for a maximum weight capacity of 264 lbs.
- Extendable to 63" Wide - Adjustable width base extends from 45" to 62.9" inches wide and fits tops up to 70" wide. All required tools for assembly are included; easy to put together in minutes.
- Top Sold Separately - Install a top of your own choosing for a customized sit-stand solution. Accepts Seville Classics Ergo Table Top with Beveled Bottom Edges, 54" x 30" (Models: OFF65811, OFF65812, OFF65813)
4.5 of 5 stars
The Seville Classics Airlift standing desk has two motors that help to smoothly raise and lower it with the touch of a button. This desk also features a sturdy metal base and an ergonomically contoured top that measures 54 inches by 30 inches.
The desk can go as low as 25.6 inches and as high as 51.4 inches at a speed of 1.5 inches every second. This speed makes lowering and raising the desk an activity that can take seconds and the unit doesn't need a larger footprint than the desk itself.
This desk also has an LED controller for moving the top up and down, and four buttons on the front control panel allow you to store different presets for heights preferred by different users or different use cases of one user.
For example, you can program this desk to accommodate different chairs and a sitting or standing position of your choice. This desk is also ANSI/ BIFMA X5.5 Compliant and can hold a maximum of 264 pounds thanks to the steel base.
7. Joy Desk by Stand Steady
- BEAUTIFUL MODERN STYLE: Complete your home office with our simple and sophisticated Joy standing desk. Designed with a distressed maple wood grain finish and sleek metal legs, this stylish desk is sure to add a high-end feel to any room.
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN: Stand comfortably while you work! The Joy desktop stands at 41.5” so you can avoid the negative impacts of sitting at a desk all day. With a built-in monitor shelf, the Joy Desk keeps your computer screens at eye level, so there’s no need to strain your neck.
- SPACIOUS STORAGE CUBBIES: Now you can keep all your office accessories organized with the Joy Desk’s spacious storage cubbies. From books, to knick-knacks, to mid-day snacks, these storage cubes can fit it all!
- LARGE DESKTOP SURFACE: With over seven square feet of desktop surface space, (plus a bonus shelf!) the Joy Desk provides plenty of room for your computer, keyboard, books, decorations, and more!
- DURABLE & STURDY: Don’t let its minimalistic design fool you, this high-end desk is also strong and durable, supporting up to 60 lbs! The sturdy metal legs combined with stabilizing crossbars ensure your Joy Desk stands steady for a wobble-free workday.
4.5 of 5 stars
The Joy Desk is a more contemporary design for a standing desk, and it features a distressed maple veneer. The base is in the shape of an a-frame which makes it capable of holding up to 60 pounds. The cubbies at the back of the desk are spacious and also allow for organization and storage of small items.
The desktop measures 48 inches by 24 inches and can easily hold two 27-inch monitors. There is no separate keyboard tray, but the base does have feet that can be adjusted to make sure the desk is level. There is also some assembly needed for this desk that is estimated to take about 45 minutes.
This desk retails for about $150 which makes it much less expensive than many other standing desks, however, it is not able to hold as much weight, is not height adjustable, and also requires assembly.
8. VIVO HEIGHT-ADJUSTABLE STANDING DESK
- Create Instant Active Standing - VIVO’s desk riser provides on-demand standing throughout the day for the freedom to get out of your chair and relieve muscle tension, reduce stress, and increase productivity.
- Spacious 35" Surface - This standard riser size measures 35.3” x 22”, providing plenty of space for single and dual monitor setups. The 28" x 9" keyboard tray raises in sync with the top surface to create a comfortable workspace.
- Strong 33 lbs Lift Assist - Go from sitting to standing in one smooth motion with dual pneumatic spring force. Adjust to your proper comfort level by using the innovative simple touch height locking mechanism (Adjustment Range: 6.4” to 16.5”).
- Very Minimal Assembly - This riser is almost ready to go right out of the box! Place on your existing desk, attach the keyboard tray & feet, and start organizing your workstation.
- We've Got You Covered - Our steel riser design is backed with a 3-year Manufacturer Warranty and friendly tech support to help with any questions or concerns.
4.5 of 5 stars
The Vivo standing desk is another convertible unit designed to be set on an existing flat surface such as your current desk. This unit features many of the same benefits as other standing desks but has a differently shaped top and a keyboard tray that also moves.
This desk is big enough for two monitors and measures 36 inches by 22 inches. It has a maximum holding weight of 37.5 pounds and can be easily moved up and down with the aid of gas springs.
This desk does require some minimal assembly once it is removed from the box, and there is a 3-year limited warranty. This desk converter weighs in at 51.6 pounds and does not require any electricity to operate.
Once you have the desk at the desired height, there is a simple locking mechanism to prevent it from lowering on its own. There are also adjustment points on either side of the desk that allow it to be raised or lowered with more or less resistance depending on user preferences.
This desk retails for $190 without the electric riser, but you can purchase the same desk with an electric riser for $299.
Before purchasing a standing desk, you’ll want to consider your current set up and whether you need a new desk or you can use a converter setup. Some buyers actually prefer purchasing a converter so they can continue using their current desk, but others will need a whole new desk.
A Standing Desk vs. a Standing Desk Converter
Many individuals who want a standing desk will already have a desk that they like and may be reluctant to get rid of their current set up. With a desk converter, you can keep your old desk, and add on the rising part for standing while also saving some money.
Desk converters are less expensive than a full standing desk in many cases, but they have the added benefit of being able to add more height when propped up on another object. If you are quite tall, a conventional standing desk may not be high enough, and a converter could be placed on another raised platform if needed.
Standing Desk Materials
Regardless of the standing desk or standing desk converter that you pick out you’ll want to ensure that it is made from durable materials such as steel, MDF, wood, or composite materials. Some less expensive models will feature plastic that can easily break over time and will not be able to hold as much weight.
When you start looking at standing desks, you’ll also notice that some will have motors and others will be raised or lowered through the use of cranks, or just manual lifting. Keep in mind that the mechanism for lowering or raising your desk will directly impact how you use it so you should consider your needs and choose accordingly.
Warranty and Features
If the standing desk you want has a motor be sure to check the warranty for the motor specifically even if you don’t plan on using it often. Standing desk motors are known for breaking after a few years, and it's a good idea to get a unit with a solid warranty if you plan to raise and lower the desk often using the motor.
You’ll also want to check out how the desk is raised and lowered, how large the desktop is, and whether or not it has a separate keyboard tray. If there is a separate keyboard tray, you’ll also want to verify how it moves with the rest of the unit.
Last update on 2021-09-27 at 00:45 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API