The right pen can help you record information in various colors, but what is the best ballpoint pen to buy? Read our detailed guide to make an informed decision. Finding the right pen that molds itself to how you write and represents your unique writing style is essential. While there are different types of pen in the market that promise classical elegance, the ballpoint pen is one of the practical pens in the market. However, with various brands offering ballpoint pens, it can be daunting to settle on the best ballpoint pen. Fortunately, we have made work accessible to you by listing down the top ballpoints in the market with different functions and design to match your writing style.
Why Should You Use a Ballpoint Pen?
Ballpoint pens have several advantages over the fountain, rollerball, and gel pens. These include:
- The ability to write well on different paper types
- Water resistant
- Low maintenance
- The ability to withstand writing pressure
How We Chose Our Ratings
If you’ve gone through several sites trying to find the right ballpoint pens, you know there are hundreds to choose from. We narrowed this down to tested pens with hundreds of positive reviews. Also, our ratings are based on affordability, efficiency, and versatility. Our top products are from brands with an excellent reputation for producing quality pens that are durable and comfortable when writing.
Top best BallPoint Pens in 2019
Here are the best ballpoint pens in 2019
The Lamy 2000
4.3 out of 5 stars
The Lamy 2000 is a distinct pen thanks to its fiberglass material that can withstand anything. In fact, this pen has won different awards for its unique design. Another notable feature is that the pen writes efficiently and smoothly. You also don’t have to worry about disposing of your pen as it comes with a free refill. On the downside, the pen has a high price tag, which may be limiting for a person on a budget. However, with its look and the free refill, the cost is reasonable.
Parker Jotter Retractable
3.9 out of 5 stars
The Parker Jotter Retractable pen has a timeless design coupled by the excellent build and a consistent line. Getting this pen gives you a sense of style and prepares you for work. Also, it’s comfortable to hold and attaches itself where you clip it whether it’s on a notebook or your pocket.
However, the click sound may be distracting if you’re using the pen in a meeting or in a conference room.
4.4 out of 5 stars
The Uni-ball impact Gel pen is what you need when you’re looking for a pen to produce compelling lines. You can expect distinctive writing with this pen without any tampering. You should consider getting this pen if you need something reliable and durable for signing documents. Unfortunately, the Uni-Ball 207 ballpoint pen tends to run dry quicker than most pens, which means you may need to replace it often.
The Montblanc StarWalker
3.8 out of 5 stars
Montblanc is a favorite name in quality pens, and the StarWalker doesn’t disappoint. The pen is made to last forever, something that explains the high price tag. The good part is that you can be sure of a reliable pen with long-term functionality. The StarWalker has ruthenium and resub composition which guarantees quality build and durability. You can find this pen in medium and fine point. It also comes with the mystery black ink, which is the company’s signature ink. However, you can use other inks to refill the pen. The pen comes in six colors, giving you a variety to choose from depending on your preference.
The Fisher Space Pen
4.5 out of 5 stars
Paul Fisher, the brains behind the Bullet Space Pen first came up with the pen in 1948. The pen has other excellent upgrades like an ink cartridge that allows you to write comfortably even in extreme temperatures. With this pen, you can write well in zero gravity, something that lacks in most pens that rely on gravity to push the ink to the ball. Made from chrome and brass, you can be sure you’re buying a durable pen that is inexpensive and writes correctly. A Fisher space pen is a trusted brand that not only provides you with smooth writing experience, but it also assures you of durability.
The Bic Cristal
4.5 out of 5 stars
The Bic Company is famous for its wide range of pens, and the Cristal is one of the best sellers around the world. You can be sure to find this pen anywhere whether it’s a hotel room or any other public place with desk space. The Cristal has a distinct flow and provides smooth writing experience. It’s ideal for everyday use as it can handle any heavy-duty writing. The translucent barrel allows you to see if your ink is running out. Unfortunately, the Bic Cristal is not refillable. However, it’s inexpensive as you can find a pack of 24 pens
at a lower price than your average pens.
The Pilot Better Ballpoint Pen
4.6 out of 5 stars
If you’re looking for a pen that writes well, is inexpensive, and reliable, you might need to consider the Pilot Better Ballpoint Pen. This pen is retractable which allows you to protect the tip when you’re not using. Moreover, you don’t have to worry about losing the cap.
Another benefit is that it’s refillable, something that provides you with value for money. The transparent barrel enables you to see when the ink is running out. You no longer have to worry about sudden dry-ups. The firm grip makes the pen comfortable to use. Also, it’s suitable for long-term use thanks to the sturdy fine-point.
The Cross Century Classic Pen
4.3 out of 5 stars
The Cross Century classic pen is not your ordinary pen thanks to its outstanding features. Made of rolled gold, the pen tops the list in regards to its looks. The best part is that you can select your preferred filling or go for a chrome-accented model if you’re on a budget. The company provides lifetime warranties for its products. You can use the pen for an extended period without it getting uncomfortable as it’s not heavy. Furthermore, you can use the Cross Century pen on any paper.
Most of the time we hardly pay attention to the features to look out for in the best ballpoint pen. Unfortunately, this is a mistake as you could end up throwing away your pen or replacing it because it doesn’t meet your writing needs. Here are some useful tips to help you decide on the right pen.
- Consider the Style of the Pen — Remember that the type of pen you carry makes a statement. Nonetheless, a pen’s style will define your writing process. You can find various kinds of pen styles in the market. Twist pens are cumbersome, and you need to twist of the opposite end of the pen to retract the nib. With this type of pen, you don’t have to worry about ink leakage on clothing or in documents even when you don’t have the cap. The only downside is that it’s tedious to operate when using one hand. Cap style of pens covers the nib of the pen, and you can connect the cap on when not using the pen. You can also place the cap at the end when writing. Also, you can attach the clip on the lid to your pocket or notebooks for convenience. Unfortunately, the cap may easily get lost. Click style of pens has their tips lock into place when you extend them. When you click the top, it releases the locks and returns the cartridge to its original position. While this pen helps to prevent ink leakage and accidental writing, the clicking noise may be distracting.
- Decide on the Kind of Feel You Need From your Pen — You need to find a pen that feels comfortable in your hand when writing. Check the grip of the pen which is the space above the tip of a pen. Some pens have non-slip rubber surfaces, foam pads, or ribbed comfort grips to make your writing more pleasant. The weight of a pen is also another consideration. You’ll realize that metallic pens are heavier than plastic ones. You may prefer a lighter pen if you hold your pen in an upright position. Lighter pens also need less resistance to hold vertically. Do not forget the balance aspect when shopping for the best ballpoint pen. Try out the pen to ensure that it doesn’t need a lot of force at the tip to exact ink. It should also not require much energy to support the end.
- Writing Pressure and Smoothness — Although ballpoints do not scratch on paper, they produce a friction kind of feeling. The ink thickness may leave them feeling grippy. The market has pens that provide a lubricated feel when writing. They have hybrid, emulsion, or low-viscosity inks. You can also find ballpoint pens that provide a smooth writing experience if you don’t like exerting a lot of pressure to write.
- Know the Tip Size — Ballpoint pens have large tips from 0.7mm to 1 mm. A few pens may have tips of 0.5 mm. Unfortunately, the latter pend make thinner lines compared to rollerball and gel pens with the same size. Experts
recommend going for a pen with a larger tip as this allows the ink to spread out on the paper.
- Understand That Pens Have Different Materials — You can find pens made from plastic and metal. Metal pens may have chrome, nickel, or brass finishes. Also, they are sleek and last longer. However, if you are looking for inexpensive pen options, plastic pens are an excellent choice.
- Determine a Pen’s Longevity — Ballpoint pens are available in disposable and refillable options. High-end ballpoints are refillable while cheaper pens are only disposable. The ink longevity depends on the pen type. Ballpoint ink writes for over 2000 feet while rollerball pens only last for over 700 feet.
- The Color of the Pen — Most popular ink colors are blue and black, which you can find in any style of pen. Although you can use any of these colors, blue is more popular in many professions. Also, you can get other colors like turquoise, green, orange, red and brown pens in the market if you’re more artistic and creative.
- Look Out for Additional Features — Apart from a pen’s use, you need to look out for other features which may be useful in a conference room, classroom, or the office. For example, you can find stylus pens, pens with LED light, and pens that have a clip. Pens with a stylus tip have a conductive rubber design that you can use with smart screens. Check if the tip can operate on both iOS and Android devices. Getting a pen with a stylus tip may be a smart choice if you regularly switch between paper and smart screens.
You can also find pens with an LED flashlight feature, which can be beneficial when locating things in the dark. These pens may have replaceable batteries to make the pen reusable. You need to get this pen if you write in darkened places or you struggle to find things in your briefcase or backpack. Clips are essential if you need to attach your pen to the suit pocket or notebook. Check to see that when you clip in pen, it doesn’t lose its spring action and stretches enough to accommodate a notebook cover.
- Price of the Pen — Ballpoint pens arrange from a few dollars to some high- end ones running as high as $$$. You need to get a pen that suits your image if you’re trying to make an impression. However, if you’re on a budget, you can find plenty of options to choose from that will fit your writing needs. Note that highly-priced pens do not guarantee better quality than cheaper pens. It comes down to durability, longevity, and quality build.
Finding the best ballpoint pen doesn’t have to be tedious or complicated. Follow the above buyer’s guide and choose from our top-rated pens today to enjoy a smooth writing experience with pens guaranteed to last.